Best Village Folk Festival Finals
Magan Ramroop represented the Swastika Dancers from Nariva/Mayaro during her performance in the Self Expression category of the La Reine Rive Finals 2016 at the National Academy for the Performing Arts (South Campus)
The Best Village Independence Folk Finals 2016 got underway at the National Academy for the Performing Arts (South Campus) on Saturday August 20, 2016, with a fusion of song, dance and national patriotism.
The 26 La Reine Rive 2016 finalists competed in the category of Self-Expression, using creative monologues, costumes, dances and music to describe the communities which they represent. There was also keen competition in four other categories:
- Pan Solo – featuring pannists from various districts performing national patriotic songs
- National Patriotic Song – groups from the various districts performing national patriotic songs including; “I Pledge,” “Nah Leaving” and “Portrait of Trinidad”
- Spanish Latin Influenced Dance and
- National Patriotic Dance
This was followed by the start of the Folk Theatre Finals at the same venue on Sunday August 21, 2016. The schedule continues as follows:
- Folk Theatre Finals run until Friday August 26, 2016 at SAPA from 6:00 pm each night
- La Reine Rive Finals (Talent) to be held on Saturday August 27, 2016 at SAPA from 7:00 pm
- Village Chat/Poetry/Short Story Finals at SAPA on Sunday August 28, 2016 from 1:00 pm
- Folk Presentation Finals at the Grand Stand, Queen’s Park Savannah from Tuesday September 6 to Thursday September 8, 2016 from 6:00 pm each night
- Le Gran Z’Affaire at the Grand Stand, Queen’s Park Savannah on Saturday September 10, 2016 at 6:00 pm, where the new Ms La Reine Rive will be crowned and results of all the categories will be announced, including overall Best Village winners 2016.
The Prime Minister’s Best Village Trophy Competition falls under the purview of the Ministry of Community Development, Culture and the Arts.
Benita Carla Wilson represented the Soul Oasis Cultural Ambassadors from St George West
One of the performances in the National Patriotic Dance category