Dr the Honourable Nyan Gadsby-Dolly, Minister of Community Development, Culture and the Arts received a courtesy call from the delegates vying for the title of Miss UWIverse 2017 at the Ministry’s Head Office, Level 20 Nicholas Tower, Independence Square, Port of Spain on Monday January 16, 2017.
The pageant, now in its fifth year, is hosted by the UWI Guild Administrative Office and is being held under the theme, “Celebrating Beauty.” The delegates were selected last October and have since been participating in various rounds of competition, which will culminate with the crowning of Miss UWIverse 2017 on Coronation Night at Daaga Hall, UWI St Augustine on .
The ten delegates are being judged in several categories including: Miss Intellect; Athletic Challenge; Evening Gown; Question and Answer session and a special one-minute segment in which they must promote themselves as Ambassadors for their respective faculties.
In addressing the delegates, Minister Gadsby-Dolly said she was glad to see serious young women taking part in this pageant. She told them, “Do not ever be ashamed to be a thing of beauty, you are to be celebrated.”
The Minister reminded them that someone is always looking up to them as role models, advising them to “be confident and be proud of being a woman.” She also urged them to use the pageant to foster growth in some aspect of their lives.
Earlier, the delegates introduced themselves and their areas of study, before each giving their experiences in the competition. The meeting was followed by the presentation of tokens by the Honourable Minister to the delegates.
The full list of delegates for 2017 is:
- Anastasia Mootoo- Faculty of Science and Technology
- Aaliyaa Gillard- Faculty of Medical Sciences
- Arielle Khan- Faculty of Science and Technology
- Janelle Campbell- The Milner Hall of Residence
- Keia Black- Faculty of Social Sciences (absent)
- Shawnella Chaitan- The Trinity Hall of Residence
- Rachel Questelles- Faculty of Humanities and Education
- Alysha Wilson- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Monya Nelson- Faculty of Food and Agriculture
- Chelsea Radhay- Faculty of Medical Sciences
They were accompanied by reigning Miss UWIverse 2016, Khedeill James.